Thursday, October 19, 2006

Dinner Parties

There have been alot of dinner party menus flying around blog land lately and it got me thinking about how much I miss the dinner parties we used to have back in NZ where we could be creative with food.

I find in Italy when I am entertaining Domenico's family and friends (mainly from Napoli) it is not quite the same and I don't get the same satisfaction. They are stuck in such a rut where the concept of food is concerned and they can't see beyond their way of cooking.
Don't get me wrong I have alot of respect for the traditional recipes that have been passed down through generations, but it isn't the 'be all and end all' when it comes to food and I wish some of the Italian buddies would see this, perhaps it is more of a Southern Italian mentality. I get so frustrated when I am told that you can't put this with that and that a certain food can only be cooked a certain way! What happened to a bit of fantasy.

For me food is like art, a chance to play around with flavours etc, you wouldn't give an artist a plain canvas and paints and expect the same picture time and time again, the same applies to food.

Anyway enough ranting, it doesn't stop me from cooking the way I want to cook even if the finnochio does gets picked out of the arugala salad or I am told that you can't put apple sauce with roast pork.......

Our last guests were treated to the following, on this occasion I did Italianise a bit.

Marinated Alici
(before)
After they were gutted and beheaded and before they were dressed with White Wine Vinegar, Lemon, Garlic,Olive Oil and Parsley


Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the final dish before they were woofed down.

Followed by :
Roast Pork with Apple and Sage Sauce, and Caramalised Onions
Braised Leeks wrapped in Proscuitto (before)Barbecue Grilled veges tossed with Balsamico, Olive Oil and Basilico
I usually cheat when it come to dessert and pop down to the Pasticceria for some mini pastries and cakes, though ocasionally I make a Lemon Tiramisu with a full bottle of Limoncello, its lethal!!

2 comments:

  1. ooh, i wanna try that lemon tiramisu!

    great pictures! looks like a wonderful dinner party! i know what you mean about sometimes Italians being a bit set in their opinions of food. I don't entirely blame them, but it does make dinner party planning a bit tough!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog reading "at home in Rome" and enjoyed your quick tour and the dinner party ideas. I just went to Italy (from the States) for my first time and fell in love with Roma. Thanks for a fun blog discovery!

    ReplyDelete