Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Not A Good Week!

I'm having a really lousy week this week, sadly may friend Ross died after his fight with cancer, I will miss him so much he has always been there for me and we spoke often, even though we were so far away. I did write a post a few months ago (below) about Ross, I know he will be around in spirit. Before he died he managed to set up a website ( in my links) of his stories and publications over the years, his 'Spiritual Journey' is very inspiring, (you will need to scroll down to read.)

As well as this I've had an awful hacking cough the past few days, I reckon its the warm weather breeding the bugs. If it was cold they would be dead by now! and its been raining the last couple of days which hasn't helped my spirits. Role on next week....

(I’m having a sad weepy day today after having spoken to my dear friend Ross in NZ who was diagnosed with cancer a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the cancer has spread rapidly and has got into his lungs so his breathing is difficult and he is in alot of pain as antibiotics no longer work. By the sounds of it he doesn’t have much longer left to live.I think he is slowly coming to terms with his mortality though I’m having a tough time accepting it.

I came to know Ross about fifteen years ago when he applied for a job in our restaurant. We hit it off from day one and have had many days of fun and laughter. After my husband, he is my best friend who has been my mentor in my personal and business life and has always been there for me. We are so similar in the way we think its quite scary, maybe it is to do with the fact that our birthdays are only a couple of days apart.

Ross has experienced a lot in his life, he is a very passionate conservationist and has done a lot of work with the preservation of whales and dolphins in NZ. Through out his years he has travelled the world, travel writing and photographing for several NZ publications, his love of Italy brings him back year after year, though he is upset at the thought of not being able to see any more of Italy.)

I feel so angry that a life can be taken so quickly from someone who has had such a love of life and has always looked after his health, it is so unfair. I’m just hoping he can hang on.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend passing away. It sounds like he lived a fantastic life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley, thank you for stopping by my blog. I get to start reading yours now! About this post... it is so sad, I teared up thinking about your friend.
    Really the loss of someone close to us is an unfathomable thing. I am sorry for your pain, sorry for your loss. Moments like this that highlight the fragility of life makes me remember how important it is to hug our loved ones often, and tell them how much we love them. I wish you comfort, and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley.

    I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like he was a wonderful person and a very gifted writer. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad. I remember reading about him the first time you wrote, and seeing his photo thinking he looks like fun. I'm sorry he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. i remember the post about him from before: i'm glad that he was able to get the website online and do some things. My thoughts are with you guys--I'm looking forward to checking out the website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley,

    I'm sorry to be checking in so late with you - so sorry on the loss of your friend my thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Elle x

    ReplyDelete