Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Milly's 1st swim and other adventures!

After a chilly spring the heat in June hit with a vengeance. It was particularly tough for Milly who spent most of the time in the house where the stone walls keep everything nice and cool.
One very hot day I decided to take Milly to cool off at the river, a short walk down the hill from us. The wheat surrounding the house was very long and overdue to be harvested which made the trek down there quite scary as I was worried about snakes. We eventually made it through the overgrowth and came to a relatively deep waterhole. Milly didn’t take long to be tempted in and she had her very first swim.


However what happened next has made me very reluctant to go down alone with her again. I suddenly heard a rustle in the bushes across from us and when I looked up I was in full view of a huge Cinghiale (wild boar), it resembled a woolly mammoth. Well, my adrenalin kicked in big time, I screamed at Milly to run and we both bolted as quick as we could whilst I was looking for a tree to climb up if it got near to me. We belted back up the hill through the wheat no longer caring if there were any snakes, luckily the boar stayed put and chose not to chase us. When we got back to the house my heart was pounding out of my chest and and had the taste of blood in my mouth.
I knew there were Cinghiale down at the river in the winter as the hunters come to hunt them, though for some reason I thought this time of the year they lived somewhere else…silly me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, what a cutie! My dogs haven't been near the sea, but I'm pretty sure they'd hate it if bath time is any indication ;)

    Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete