Thursday, July 24, 2008

Our Orto

With the rising prices of food in Italy this spring we decided to become more self sufficient and grow our own fruit and veges. A friendly neighbour stopped by with his tractor and dug up a large area for us to plant our ‘Orto’ and to give us a few tips on what and when to plant.

There is nothing more satisfying than eating your own grown food.The tomatoes and zucchini have really taken off, though when we arrived back from England last week the zucchini were a little over done and some have grown to nearly half a metre long. They are still pretty firm though so I will cut them width ways and make an eggplant parmigiana but using zucchini instead of eggplant.

When we go back to England I always get so bloated as the food over there just doesn’t agree with my tum. I can eat bread and pasta here, but in England it gives me terrible cramps. It makes me realize just how much healthier we eat here as the food is so simple and doesn’t need much done to it. Today lunch was fresh figs, prosciutto, fresh ricotta and melon, yum….

3 comments:

  1. figs are my favorite and those look fantastic!

    i didn't like them until my semester in italy either...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. figs are my favorite and those look fantastic!

    i didn't like them until my semester in italy either...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice, I also love growing my own foods. The soil looks good!

    ReplyDelete