Monday, June 15, 2009

Nice & Dog Walking

We have been back in Nice now for the past month and still trying to adjust, I think that the fact that we don’t yet have our own place here and still living at Domenico’s brothers apartment hasn’t really helped with the process. But it seems the sensible option for the moment until we know exactly which part of the coast we want to settle. Then we can find a larger place with some space for Milly, she certainly misses her country lifestyle!


It puts a lot of pressure on me having to take her out several times a day for a walk and Nice is not the dog friendliest of places considering so many people have dogs.


I have started a daily regime of taking her up to Mont Boron a short climb from where we are living and running the tracks with her, though it is becoming more difficult in the heat. It is a beautiful part of Nice with views amazing views of the city with its beaches and around to Villefranche and St Jean Cap Ferrat.


Most of the time the other dog walkers are pretty friendly once they know that Milly is not aggressive, she can be a bit too friendly though and I sometimes see a look of fear when we are walking towards some one with a smaller dog. But usually a quick don’t worry ‘elle est gentile’puts them at ease.


One of my worst cases and there have been a few, was when a nasty French chap was coming towards me with 2 poodly dogs not on a leashes and barking away ferociously. I kept Mill under control and she looked at them as if to say ‘what is all the fuss about’, but he had the cheek to say that I should have my dog muzzled, when it was his dogs larking about. I was so angry, I wanted to say to him in my shocking French what an idiot he was, but the words didn’t come out in time, so I stormed of muttering under my breath!!


I have found that the French always have something to say and can’t keep to themselves. I was also verbally attacked one day on the promenade by a woman riding a bike with her dog in the basket. Telling me I should not be walking the dog as it was too hot and the ground would burn her feet! It was a lovely spring day and definitely not too hot, and there were plenty of other dog walkers out who she didn’t approach!! Why pick on me! I need to take some serious French lessons so I can stand up for myself in these situations, as I become mute when I can’t say what I want to say.Very frustrating!!.


On a lighter note, Domenico & I have met some super people and are slowly making new friends through the Nice Meet Up group, loads of events have been organized from walks though to dinners which has been great and have a good laugh.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate all too well to the feeling of not being able to speak the language well enough to defend yourself or at least to disagree... I think that was a big source of frustration to me as an expat. The language will come in time, I am sure you know that already. Thank goodness you are finding new friends though, that should more than make up for it! I love these photos of Milly, she is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum, just pull the finger at them, I'm sure they will understand that!

    ReplyDelete